Where To Find This Example
AWR Version 14
Select Help > Open Examples... from the menus and type either the example name listed above or one of the keywords below.
Or you can open the project directly from this page using this button. Make sure to select the Enable Guided Help before clicking this button.
AWR Version 13
This example is not available for AWR Version 13 or earlier.
Phased Array Generator Example
This example illustrates how the Phased Array Generator Wizard can be used to create phased array designs. The generator can be found under the Wizards section in the Projects tree.
The example contains a preconfigured design for a 4x4 rectangular phased array designed for operation at 28 GHz.
This design can be found under the Wizards section and is named "4x4 Phased Array." Double-clicking it will open the generator. Users can define/modify the following array configuration options:
• Specify the 2D array geometry using either predefined lattice or circular arrangements or by specifying the X, Y coordinates of individual elements.
• Specify basic characteristics of the feed network. When generating system diagrams, you can also choose to use a MIMO configuration rather than a phased array antenna configuration.
• Group elements together so they share the same characteristics.
• Specify the antenna characteristics, which are similar to the characteristics found in the ANTENNA block, if you are generating system diagrams.
• Specify an EM structure representing an individual antenna element if you are generating schematics.
• Specify settings for the RF links of each element group, such as gain and P1dB. Different settings may be specified for the transmit and receive configurations. When generating system diagrams, you may specify a Text Data File compatible with the NL_F block's data file requirements in place of the behavioral settings such as gain and P1dB.
• Specify gain and phase tapers, choosing Dolph-Chebyshev, Taylor; or specify the tapers for individual elements.
• Specify element failures, either statistically or by selecting individual elements to fail.
To monitor the array response while changing the array configuration, click on Analysis and select New Floating Antenna Pattern View. When the Antenna Pattern window is visible, users can modify the signal frequency, signal power and array steering angles (Theta and Phi) and view how the array responds to these changes. The ranges of frequency and power values may be modified thru the Analysis/Analysis Settings… in the generator menu.
When all the configuration parameters are set to the desired settings, users can generate full system or circuit/EM models of the phase array. This can be done thru the Generate option in the generator menu. Users have the option to generate preconfigured test benches along with the phased array:
• Generate System Diagrams… will generate a full VSS design using subcircuit architectures for the elements of the phased array and configure each of them. Users may modify the implementations of any element in the phased array, such as individual splitters, amplifiers, antennas, etc. This architecture can be used as a framework that allows implementation of more complex RF links for the final array design.
• Generate PHARRAY_F Data File… will generate a phased array model based on the PHARRAY_F block in VSS. This allows users to automatically create the configuration file for PHARRAY_F and modify it manually later on, if needed.
• Generate Schematic Layout… will generate a circuit implementation of the phased array system and an EM layout of the phased array itself. This allows simulation of the phased array using our circuit and EM simulators for a more detailed analysis.
This example project contains all three designs (system diagrams, PHARRAY_F, schematic/EM) that were generated through the wizard.
For a detailed description of options and capabilities of the Phased Array Generator, please select Help from the wizard menu.